I'll admit that the prospect of Teen Idols week sounded quite fun. Somehow, it was switched to Billboard #1's. Could they not get songs cleared? What's up with the switch? Also, I'll just say it now...and try not to say it again - Miley Cyrus is not a musical mentor.
I must say that the beginning of the show judge banter is not a favorite, but it served two nice purposes this evening. One, Simon was able to completely call Kara out on last year's stupid Idol anthem. Two, Grandma Betty was able to get upstairs to her room and not miss the first singer.
On to the "talent"
01 - Lee - The Letter
The performance dynamic is still not completely there. Rumor has it that not only does Lee play the guitar, he plays the piano. Maybe that's what he needs to create the "moment" Simon is looking for. Loved the selection - solid vocal. The nerves weren't there tonight. Simon, we know his recording artist style. Just listen to last week's selection from iTunes (of course I have it).
02 - Paige - Against All Odds
A Scott Savol favorite for song selection. You can tell her voice is not back to full strength with the soft parts of this song. It had a lot of rough parts for sure. She looks good from a style perspective. Kara was a little bitchy to her and way harsh. But Paige is admitting to America she should go home.
03 - Tim - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Who let him buy that jacket? Liked the stage slide....oh no, he went into the pit. I am having trouble taking him seriously with this song selection and wardrobe selection. It was a bit awkward, my friend. Kara, on Idol, these guys can reach out into the audience....it's THEIR stage.
04 - Aaron - I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing
Dramatic lighting...BIG song. I like the country vibe with this song. Solid, Aaron.
05 - Crystal - Me and Bobby McGhee
Her performance was great but I didn't love the song selection because she sang the same repetitive lyric.
06 - Mike - When a Man Loves a Woman
LOVED IT! Kara should be smacked. May I?
07 - Andrew - Heard It Through the Grapevine
Like the song, but the performance was a little cheesy. He walked back and forth a lot. I was distracted from the decent vocal by the weird performance. Kara, let the Paula song go. He can't sing it again or you will trash him.
08 - Katie - Big Girls Don't Cry
Love her song selection! This girl is bringing it this week. She's top ten after this performance. This is the best I have heard from her.
Does anyone else think Miley doesn't add any value? And the mentors show up after at least five days of rehearsal, so can they really switch it up that much?
09 - Casey - The Power of Love
SUPER selection! Other than the bad shirt, he ROCKED! Rock the stage, dude! I also like that he is tall enough that he looks over the top of Ryan's head into the crowd.
10 - Didi - You're No Good
I like this song selection for her. Also, her dress is missing a sleeve.
11 - Siobhan - Superstition
The glasses....really? The dramatic stairs need to be turned off this season. I like the selection, but I don't like the punk rock hairstyle. Not her best overall performance - and then she screamed again. Crystal out sang you, my friend.
Based on my own items to rank...here are my top picks by category:
Personal style - Mike and Aaron
Song selection - Casey and Mike
Vocal skills - Casey and Crystal
Performance factor - Casey and Crystal
Here's how I would rank them (into buckets) after last night:
Top - Casey, Crystal, Mike
Middle - Lee, Siobhan, Aaron, Didi, Katie
Bottom - Andrew, Tim, Paige
From Marc:
ReplyDeleteI only watched Crystal, who is the one to beat. I think your Paula hate has been transferred to Kara.
From Missy:
It was all werid for me. Not really LOVING anyone at this point, can't pick a fave, although I know who I don't like!
This was a BAD week, and it was saved by Crystal and Casey. My hubby was forced to listen for the first time this week, and he said, "All these people are really bad." I made sure to tell him they aren't all that bad all the time. :-)
ReplyDeleteDefinitely agreed with Paige leaving last night. I don't know what happened to her. In the early semi rounds, she sounded awesome, but it was almost like she just gave up. I know the sickness thing didn't help...yadda yadda...but still...