Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Season 9, Theme Week 1 - The Rolling Stones on The American Idol

It's a big stage, boys and girls. Game on! (...that and they got to work with a stylist...woo hoo!)

As the real season begins, I will be judging the contestants on style, song selection, vocal, and performance.

01 - Big Mike - Miss You
His shirt does nothing for him. It's about two sizes too small. His singing stance was awkward. I liked the selection. I liked the vocal.

02 - Didi - Play With Fire
She was a little too attentive to the cameras at first. She has way too many accessories. She's bringing it vocally.

03 - Casey - It's All Over Now
His story is pretty cool. He needs to mix it up a bit with his attire. What did he do to his hair besides get it cut? He's bringing the rock star vibe tonight. He's showing a lot more personality than before.

04 - Lacey - Ruby Tuesday
Does she know she has two shirts on? She's "making it her own". I do like that. She's getting it done and sticking to her style - decent vocal.

(Kara, even though you hear Simon's every word, we haven't, so don't agree with "the guys" unless you are referring to Ellen as a guy.)

(The cute parents for each person are killing me.)

05 - Andrew - Gimme Shelter
He's prepped it up. This guy deserves his top 12 spot. Awesome performance. (I didn't hear the pitchy. Shut up, Kara.)

06 - Katie - Wild Horses
Her dress is not flattering on TV. Bizarre lighting. Her vocal gets stronger mid-song. The girl can sing. They need to not go the "sing your age" route with her tonight.

07 - Tim - Under My Thumb
Holy 10 kids! Thank you, stylists, for helping out his hair style. Wardrobe made him a bit more trendy as well. He is a different kid the past two weeks. I liked it. (His vocals came through on TV.(

(I don't know many of these songs, so I can't relate them back to the original...Don't roll your eyes at me, I just don't know them....)

08 - Siobhan - Paint It Black
Hair - bad. Footwear - horrid. Beginning of the song - off. Vocal - amazing. Performance - blah. Scream at the end - painful. If she wasn't such a great vocalist, I'd not love it.
(Kara - Adam? Really? Are you trying to piss me off?)

09 - Lee - Beast of Burden
Stylists have done a nice job with the guys this week - WOW! Low key style like the John Mayer sound version of the Rolling Stones. A bit safe from a selection perspective. I dig it. He's still working on the swagger, but he is younger than Daughtry and Cook were on this show.
(I made mean faces at Ellen.)

10 - Paige - Honky Tonk Woman
She's a very nice person. She looks great this week. At times the performance was awkward but this was her best vocal that I have heard. She was sick this week, and you really couldn't tell.

11 - Aaron - Angie
The stylist is Aaron's friend. He's dressed for the big stage. Rough beginning...not a stellar selection - I'm a little worried for my friend Aaron.
(Maybe I don't know enough about the song to understand what he did.)

12 - Crystal - You Can't Always Get What You Want
She wins the song selection game this week. Will she ever wear a color? It was solid vocals.

Tough to stay who is getting the boot this week.

Here are my top choices:
Style - Lee
Song selection - Crystal
Vocal - Siobhan and Lee
Performance - Casey

2 comments:

  1. So, tell me, do you like Kara? :-) I agree with you, except I am just not a Tim Urban fan (even though I have his name in the Griswold family pool - something we do every year). Not sure what it is about him that bugs me. All in all, I thought it was a much better week overall, and it gives me a little hope that this season can be saved. Was getting a little worried...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lacey seems like a sweet girl, but she was my least favorite. Glad to see she went home first.

    Paige has such a great voice...I didn't like seeing her in the bottom two!

    ReplyDelete