Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Season 10, Top 12 Guys

It seems like it was just a few months ago that I was calling over (and over and over) to vote for Lee. Alas, it's a new season, new contestants, and the best part...NEW JUDGES!

To date, I haven't posted any thoughts on the new panel, but I am fired up for this group. Steven Tyler is hysterical...you don't quite know what he will say. (Thank goodness for the seven second delay.) Randy Jackson...the Dawg is back. Jennifer Lopez...I love her. So fun, so stylish, so NORMAL. I don't find myself rolling my eyes anymore because buh-bye Kara. Yippee!!!!!

This is a sign I watch this show in WAY too much detail....did anyone else notice that amidst the nine past winners who are highlighted in the opening song, the Idol committee has also added three prior game changers - Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, and Adam Lambert. Something tells me, they weren't just trying to fill 12 spots instead of 9.

And now...our show....

Holy cow! 12 to 5 in one week! They are really making this happen. And we are already on the big stage!

Oh, Ryan just said wild card. Is he not telling us a number because they haven't decided that yet? Is it still the top 12? Oh the questions....

(I will note already that it's the first post and I am already overusing the ".")

Here's what I thought about the guys tonight:

01 - Clint - "Superstition"
Big song, fun kickoff. If I have to pick 5, he isn't one of them. It was a solid effort, but I am still struggling with the fact that this guy kicked a kid out of his group on group night.

02 - Jovany - "I'll Be"
He's a ballad guy. I like the song, but it has been done a LOT on this show. Side note - it took 13 whole minutes this season to be annoyed by the background vocals. He was great. He may make the list for me.

You go, J-Lo! I do wish she would have been around sooner!

03 - Jordan - "OMG"
Oh no. Not Usher this early. I don't like it (and I like Usher). I just sat and shook my head "no". Not top 5. He caved to the pressure. If it's not you, why did you sing it? You have one shot. He too, was a bit much during Hollywood week (as edited by "production".)

04 - Tim - "Streetcorner Symphony"
His timing is a little off, but this is a decent song selection. Walking back and forth is distracting a bit. He mixed it up like Randy's been asking for. I think he tried a little too hard. It bums me out because I do like him.

05 - Brett - "Light My Fire"
He confuses me. This song is a big song. He had a solid performance, but I am not quite sure I "get" him. Good kid, not the next "American Idol". (Did you hear Ryan say that instead of me? - Oh, I am loopy with a new season.)

06 - James - "Another Thing Comin'"
He's got his own style. He's pretty great. I like him a lot. He knocked it our and showed up everyone else so far. He's a little bit crazy, and I am not sure about the "tail", but I like him.

07 - Robbie - "Angel"
Interesting selection and mix. Challenging to follow James, but he held his own. I liked it. He took a risk tonight. He is young, and in some ways that showed.

08 - Scotty - "Letter from Home"
I really like him. I think he deserves a spot. He's way different than the other voices, and I am a little bit country these days. :) The selection did suit him very well.

09 - Stefano - "Just the Way You Are"
Safe selection. He's really great. The high note wasn't quite what it should be. But this kid deserves to be Top 5 guys. He's pop, and I like it.

10 - Paul - "Maggie Mae"
Does anyone else notice his teeth are very, very, very white? Interesting song selection, if he pulls it off. He is uniquely talented. It was solid, but not very original.

11 - Jacob - "A House Is Not a Home"
Not an original selection. Theatrical performance, but I am not sure he is America's next recording superstar (ie Carrie Underwood). He must have sounded better in the studio, or maybe it was the song for me.

12 - Casey - "I Put a Spell On You"
The biggest character closes out the show. This was yet another unique performance. He has his own energy level for sure. My verdict is still out on him.

Here's how I think it may go from a vote and my personal opinion perspective:

Top 5: Scotty, James, Stefano, Casey, Jacob, or maybe Tim.

I like Robbie and Jovany too, but not sure how it will go.

Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment