Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Season 9, Theme Week 5 - Elvis Songbook

Remember in past seasons when seasoned (aka cosmetically revised) music professionals mentored the contestants? Let's revisit - Barry Manilow, Stevie Wonder, Kenny Rogers, Gladys Knight, Smokey Robinson, Randy Travis, and Dolly Parton.

This "season" our mentors have included Usher (10 yrs in the industry tops), Miley Cyrus (see prior blog ranting), and (I can barely say this) Adam Lambert....seriously....seriously...REALLY? Not that the dud can't perform, but MENTOR?

Let's research the definition of a mentor:
1.a wise and trusted counselor or teacher
2.an influential senior sponsor or supporter
Do we think this matches the folks this season?

And then I thought, how many people have they asked and they said no?

On to the Elvis category - we did try this in 2006. Not sure I am that fired up about this category. I am still not over the fact that Elvis week is what sent Daughtry home.

01 - Crystal
This was ok, nothing special. I am not a fan of the backdrop (background) singers. I just don't konw that I'd listen to her on the radio. She's got talent but I can't get fired up.

02 - Andrew
Not sure he could put this on an album BUT I liked that he mixed it up. One of his more dramatic performances. I am not sure if it was solid enough for him to stay.
(I hate Kara. I don't want her to talk anymore.)

03 - Tim
He sounded nervous at the beginning. I kinda like that he didn't listen to Adam's advice. Hee Hee. I liked the arrangement a LOT but not totally crazy about the vocal. He saved himself though for sure.

04 - Lee
Did he miss the words or start the song in a weird place? I didn't love it for some reason and that makes me a little sad. He looked distracted while he was singing it.

05 - Aaron
This was not a stellar song selection for him. It tends to be karaoke from the first note. He's dressed for the swagger, and his vocals were better this week. I feel like this show is wearing him down because he is so young.

06 - Siobhan
I feel like I am watching Elvis - The Musical. I so don't like this performance. What happened to Rock Star Siobhan?

07 - Big Mike
Wow. I loved that. I liked that it was original.

08 - Katie
She's a new performer in the past few weeks. Not necessarily a "current" performance, but the vocal was solid.

09 - Casey
It was cool. I want him to surprise us one week though with his performance.

I feel like the contestants are going through the motions this season.

P.S. Ryan is not so super this season.

Also, HOLLA to the Glee cast.

Here's a funny article to share:
'American Idol' recap: Elvis Has Left the Building | American Idol Recap | EW.com

1 comment:

  1. Andrew was my obvious choice to go home. I'm also not digging Siobhan lately...She seems to be struggling to fit her style into these different themes. Oh, and Aaron too...He should have gone home based solely on performance, but I figured the teeny-bopper crowd would save him.

    ReplyDelete